Friday, January 27, 2012

Best thing: big breakfast bowl

The best thing this week, and really since I first discovered it two weeks ago, has been Rip's Big Bowl. It's a breakfast recipe from hunky Austin firefighter Rip Esselstyn, author of the Engine 2 Diet. He had it posted on his page during the Vegan Kickstart. The recipe is a crazy combination of cereals and fruits that doesn't really sound like they go together. Also, cold cereal gives me heartburn for some reason, even as a kid. So when I saw the recipe, I thought I'd never try it, but Rip's blue eyes eventually wore me down, and I've been addicted ever since. Here's my only slightly different version.

The big bowl starts with one-quarter cup of three different kinds of cereal: rolled oats, Grape Nuts and Uncle Sam. Rip also uses a quarter cup of shredded wheat, but I thought it got too soggy. Anyway, to your cereals, which you've put in a big bowl of course, you add one tablespoon each of ground flax, walnuts and raisins. Rip uses a little more dried fruit and nuts, but then he's a firefighter and I'm a writer, so I think our calorie needs are a little different. Now the crazy starts. To the cereal, add a sliced banana, sliced kiwi and sliced mango or grapefruit with all the juice. Trust me, trust Rip, kiwi, mango and grapefruit with the juice are all totally amazing in cereal. To this you add three-quarters of a cup of plant milk. Rice or soy is what I've usually got. Get your big spoon and dig into the best bowl of cereal you've ever had. It's really more of a big fruit salad with granola than it is cereal. Whatever you call it, I love it!

Rip says he eats this almost every day for breakfast, too. And we both went to UT Austin. And we're both triathletes, although I only did one, and like to swim. I think we might be soulmates.

Yours in good health,
Summer

p.s. - a new Vegan Kickstart will start April 2. It's free and awesome, so why not sign up right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment