Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Weigh in: first 3 weeks

On Jan. 2, I started the Vegan Kickstart. It's a great, free program from the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine. I didn't follow the meal plans, I just tried to eat as close to an unrefined, plant-based diet at possible. On most days, I ate my pound of salad and avoided oils. Of course, I was also strictly vegan. Lo and behold, at the end of the three-week kickstart, I've lost seven pounds!

The best part is that I haven't paid attention to portion size, calories, carbs or anything like that. I've just eaten. And my menu has included mac 'n' cheese (faux cheese of course), brownies with all the fat replaced by silken tofu, chocolate chip cookies with all the fat replaced by mashed banana, and no-cheese veggie pizza from a chain pizza place. All these things have been completely delicious. I won't lie, the first week was rough, especially the first five days. You've got this nauseating toxic hunger from food withdrawl, low blood sugar because your body is used to easy-to-digest processed food, and you miss your old standbys because the new standbys don't taste right. But by the second week, my taste buds were changing, and I was finding some good recipes. By the third week, I swear that mac 'n' cheese tasted like the real deal to me.

If you're wondering how this is possible, how a person can eat all these foods, not pay attention to portion size and still lose weight, see this post for some theories. Of course, this is all one big experiment for me. I'm eager to see how my weight loss progresses over the next three weeks.

Yours in good health,
Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment