Friday, February 24, 2012

Best thing: new tastes

My fried chicken craving has passed, thanks to the pecan-crusted seitan in "The Kind Diet." I served it with her rustic pasta, which is actually only about half pasta and the rest sliced cabbage. It was so comforting and rich-tasting, yet unlike anything I've ever had before. As I settle into my new diet, discovering new, amazing tastes has been happening more and more. And frankly, I'm shocked by it.

My taste buds haven't exactly led a sheltered life. I've tried rocky mountain oysters and cabrito from a pit in the ground on our ranch as a kid, foie gras entier (that's the whole liver, ya'll) in Paris, rotted shark and whale meat in Iceland, plus every kind of ethnic restaurant you can think of here in the States. So how is it that I can walk into the grocery store down the street, pick up a bunch of ordinary looking produce, and in my own kitchen discover a whole new world? I tell you, it's exhilarating.

Here's a little list of the new and amazing I've tried this week. You may recognize some of these as my friends from the Asian market:
Daikon - This big, ole radish is always sitting there like a giant, white carrot on the top produce shelf near the ginger. I had this as matchsticks in miso soup and braised with soy sauce as described in Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian," the modern equivalent of the Better Homes and Garden cookbook and Joy of Cooking that you should run out and get right now. It's got some radish heat, but is mild and easy to eat. I can't wait to try this in more things.
Parsnip - Not to be confused with daikon, because this also looks like a white carrot, but it's smaller than the daikon. Parsnip has become one of my favorite veggies since I mashed it into some potatoes last month and somehow it lent a coconut taste to them. Sublime!
Kabocha - Japanese winter squash. It's really sweet but has the texture of floury potatoes. I have to be honest, my husband didn't like his at all. I couldn't believe there is a starch he doesn't like. But I think maybe baking it dried it out too much and next time I should braise it. I served this with ginger-baked tofu and steamed baby bok choy drizzled with umeboshi plum vinegar for a Japanese-style square meal. What really blew my mind about this meal is that I wasn't planning on cooking Japanese at all. I mean, I don't cook Japanese. But then it just happened.
Umeboshi plum vinegar - This is the best stuff ever. Sour, salty and hot pink! I love, love, love it and feel so sexy when I eat it. Shake it onto greens with some gomaiso, which is sesame seeds and salt easily found at Whole Foods in the Asian section, and you've got something special.
Fruit with chili sauce - Oh my gosh, this will change your life. I recently read that fruit vendors in LA offer their fruit with chili sauce, so this morning I tried it with pineapples, strawberries, clementine segements, a squeeze of lime and some unsweetened coconut. A few dashes of Sriracha, and I was instantly addicted.

I hope you have some fun adventures, food and otherwise, coming up for the weekend. I'd love any hot tips on amazing new plant-based tastes to try. My sweetheart is going to Washington, D.C., for a few days so the kitchen will be all mine.

Yours in good health,
Summer

1 comment: