Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Our mothers, our diets


" Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children." 
- William Makepeace Thackeray
- and also that badass in "The Crow"
My mother has always been my diet partner. Dieting is an activity that we do together. Consequently, I've never chosen a diet that doesn't have her full support. Until now.

She wants to be supportive, but I can tell, since she was my first God and my survival as an infant depended on being able to read her, that she's concerned. From her point of view, this way of eating is too high in starches, grains and sugars (all that fruit!). Plus no portion control. Plus where in the heck am I getting my protein? A person just can't eat that many beans. Plus I'm probably alienating my husband.

OK, enough! Stomp, stomp, stomp. Slam! [Muffled from behind closed door comes The Smiths] "Take me out tonight. Where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive."

Whew! All right, 1989 flashback is over. But that's how it feels when your mom criticizes you, suddenly you're a kid again. I'm sure my mom has felt the same way when talking to her own mom before. Except she would probably slam the door and play "In My Room" by the Beach Boys (I told you, I know the woman better than she knows herself).
So what's a mom to do? What's a daughter to do? Acutally, I have no idea. But two key attitudes are helping me to successfully navigate this tricky situation. And if they can work with your mom, then they'll definitely work with other family, friends and colleagues.
  1. I acknowledge that food choice is very personal.
    I'm not a fundamentalist, insisting that my way is the only way. Within this blog I may evangelize, but out in the world, when someone starts talking about the glories of a low-carb diet, or when I recieve a copy of the P.I.N.K. Method in the mail from my mom, which happened to me a couple of weeks ago, I just think to myself, "Mellow. Be mellow. You gotta mellow out, dude, and let it be." Yes, my inner monologue is voiced by Jeff Spicoli from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High."
  2. I encourage flirting.
    This is Alicia Silverstone's term for just trying out some coconut ice cream or a meatless meal. Kathy Freston calls it leaning in. I think it's a great way to go. I mean, how in the heck are you supposed to give up something as delicious and addictive as ice cream until you know that mango sorbet is waiting for you on the other side? Over the holidays I was making everyone try green smoothies. And guess what, my mom was totally into it! She's been making them on her own ever since. I can't wait to make her a batch of brownies made with silken tofu.
I hope these ideas are helpful.
How do you deal with well-meaning critics?

Yours in good health,
Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment