Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Just a little addicted

The cravings have come. My six-week low-fat, plant-based honeymoon is over. I want sugar, grease and salt, and I want it now. I want fried chicken.

Now, I haven't eaten fried chicken regularly since I was a kid. So what's going on? When I examine these cravings, it's pretty clear my brain is telling me that these foods are going to make me feel "better." Better than what? I guess I could psychoanalyze myself and come up with a million reasons why I might need to feel "better." But in light of what I've learned by reading "The Pleasure Trap," I think I'm going to forget the psychoanalysis and call these cravings evidence of addiction.

I shouldn't be too suprised these cravings have come up now. I started the week determined to be stricter with my diet by cutting out bread, pasta, oils and other processed foods during the week. I was going to be perfect. But by Monday night I was fishing out the last Tofurkey beer brat leftover from the Super Bowl. Although I know the authors of "The Pleasure Trap" would tell me to forge ahead and break free, I'm not ready to right now. I've come so far in the last six weeks and been so happy to have tons of fruits and vegetables in my life. I want to enjoy this space for a while longer. Especially since I'm still losing weight.

So instead of fried chicken, I think it's time I tried the Seitan Piccata from Candle 79 that is all the vegan rage. And tonight I'm having Isa's Garlicky Kale with Tahini Dressing, one of my absolute favorite things but I've been avoiding making it because of the fat in the tahini.

Weigh in Friday!

Yours in good health,
Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment