Monday, February 13, 2012

Weird new foods I'm trying this week

The thing about a plant-based diet is that it breaks you out of your rut. I was in a serious bread and cheese rut for years and years. My dinners would rotate between grilled cheese and tomato soup, pizza and cheese with crackers and apple. So just cutting out cheese has seriously rocked my world. I've had to make new friends with hummus and nutritional yeast (spare me your gross out face, it's awesome!). I've rediscovered old friends like guacamole, stir-fries and red beans and rice. And now I'm ready to really get this party started with some intriguing strangers that I met at the Asian market this weekend.

Some of them I know by reputation, of course. Others were just too beautiful or cool sounding to resist. Let me introduce:
Kabocha squash
Lotus root
Daikon
Yu-choy
and Wakame

Does that sound like a squad of sexy international health superstars or what? As I make them this week I'll let you know how it goes.

Yours in good health,
Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment